PRAYER ALERT: Reformation anniversary statement from NEAB to the media, to the government and to the people of Belize. Today, the 31st of October 2017, marks the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, which affirmed “Scripture Only” (“Sola Scriptura”) as the supreme authority in our lives. The Belize Constitution reflects the influence of the Reformation when it begins by declaring “the Nation of Belize shall be founded on principles which acknowledge the supremacy of God” (see Col. 1:17-18). Our Constitution also follows scriptural principles in asserting “the position of family in a society of free men and free institutions” (John 8:35-36; 1 Cor. 6:12-7:14) and the equal rights “endowed by their Creator” (Gen. 2:16; Rom. 13:7-10).
Because of this, we strongly uphold family values and our God-endowed rights in the issues that Belize faces:
- 1. Sex (and gender) as male and female only, as God created them in His image, vs. artificial LGBT identities (Gen. 1:26-27).
- 2. The God-designed natural family of a married man and woman, faithful to each other and to their children, vs. LGBT sex, LGBT unions, LGBT marriages, or LGBT adoption (Heb. 13:4; Prov. 22:6). Sodomy violates God’s design for sex, causing physical damage, and as such is not a form of love nor a right endowed by our Creator (Lev. 18:22; Rom. 1:26-27).
- 3. The right to life at conception of the fetus, who in ultrasounds shows unmistakable signs of life in its earliest stages, as is worthy of full protection as a human being (Psalm 139:13-16; Belize Const. Preamble (e))
- 4. The right of church schools to teach according to Scripture and religious convictions, and to rule out teachings contrary to Scripture (2 John 1:8-11; Belize Const. 10(3)).
- 5. The need for laws against practices that are harmful to public health, according to the Constitution—including homosexual practices and narcotic drug practices (Rom. 1:26-27; 2 Kings 4:38-41).
- 6. The promotion of counseling which frees people from such harmful practices and habits (1 Cor. 6:9-11).
Evangelicals and Catholics—who together make up 68 percent of Belize’s population—have spoken to the government on all these issues. Yet we have received inadequate responses or no response at all. Now we are speaking out in public for all to hear. We publicly call on the government to publicly answer our positions on these issues which we have presented to them.
We also plan to rally together on the National Assembly Steps soon to speak to the nation at greater length on these crucial family and social issues. As the nation’s conscience we must say like Luther—the Reformation’s founder—“Here we stand. We can do no other. So help us God.” Whoever stands on God’s word will never fall. We call on the people of Belize to stand with us.
PRAY WITH US. Father, we thank You for giving us spiritual fathers in the faith. We thank you for the apostles and the prophets who wrote Scripture. We thank You for the Reformers and other fathers in church history who have built on their foundation. Most of all, we thank You for Your Son, whom You have appointed heir of all things. Thank You that He has made us fellow heirs in the family of God. Your family values are the intimate faithful love between husband and wife. That they be fruitful and multiply more beloved children and give them care and guidance. And that future generations testify to the goodness of God.
We grieve with You that many are calling good evil, and evil good. We grieve that many are violating Your good design for marriage, sex and family, and reaping evil results. That many are murdering the unborn made in Your image. They seek to take away others’ rights to life and to liberty in preaching and worshiping You. And insisting on their own rights to do wrong and to strike down good laws. They are leading this nation blindly into lawlessness and bondage to drugs and perversion.
Help us to better shine Your light and speak Your words, so that Your truth will set them free. Bring us together in November at the National Assembly. Lead us all to pray with one heart to You who has all the answers, so that You will forgive and heal Belize. Move us to speak with one voice in a way that the government will hear and know that You are speaking. And turn the hearts of the authorities and the wayward fathers to the children. Guide them in a righteous gender policy and addiction-prevention policy that will build a strong nation with strong families and not tear them down. In Jesus’ name, amen.
DailyInsight. We are to grow in Holy Spirit servanthood to learn authority, and in Sonship to learn Fatherhood (See John 16:12-15).
BPN articles related to Reformation anniversary statement.
Related sources for Reformation anniversary statement.
Keyword: Reformation anniversary statement.
The supremacy of the Word of God: Reformation anniversary statement.